70th Brigade Ordnance Company, Royal Army Ordnance, War Diary - July 1942
War Diary of 70th Brigade Ordnance Workshop Company RAOC July 1942
3 to 10 July 1942 Home
Unit in process of forming under Det. Base Ordnance Depot, Abermarlais Park, Llangadoch.
11 July 1942
Temporary Captain J D Noble (87250) posted to Unit to fill vacancy of Major. Reference Number 112/Ord/1478 (A.T.9) List Number 637 dated 7 July 1942 joined Unit.
DADME (Deputy Assistant Director Mechanical Engineering) 49 Division, Major H R Bridger visited Unit to inspect training.
14 July 1942
14:00 hours. Thirty-five Other Ranks inoculated – T.A.B. and T.T.
15 July 1942
16 July 1942
14:00 hours. Thirty Other Ranks inoculated – T.A.B. and T.T. Inoculations completed to date.
18:00 hours. Fordson 15cwt G.S. trucks taken on charge from 28 Vehicle Replacement Depot, GOPSALL.
17 July 1942
16:00 hours. Warning Order to move unit to HEREFORD RACE COURSE on or about 20 July 1942 received from SUB. DIST. CAMARTHEN.
18 July 1942
17:00 hours. DADME 49 Division visited Unit to inspect training.
20 July 1942
12:00 hours. Movement Orders from WESTCO (Western Command) reference G.398 dated 19 July 1942. Advance posting 1 Officer and 20 Other Ranks to move HEREFORD RACE COURSE 21 July, Main Party to move 23 July.
21 July 1942
09:00 hours. Major J D Noble and 20 Other Ranks left by road for HEREFORD.
12:00 hours. Advance Party arrived HEREFORD RACE COURSE.
22 July 1942
15:00 hours. 2/Lieut R F DAVIDSON (181941) joined. Authority 112/Ord/1478 (AG9) dated 23 July 1942. List Number 649, to fill vacancy of Captain.
23 July 1942
12:30 hours. Main Party arrived HEREFORD RACE COURSE having moved by rail from LLANGADOCK. 90 Other Ranks under command Lieut F J TOWNSEND, an attached Officer.
24 July 1942
12:30 hours. ADOS 49 Division, Lt Col PHILPOTTS, visited camp site.
27 July 1942
Training Programme put into operation. Copy attached to War Diary marked No.1.
06:30 hours. Civil sirens sounded “ALERT”. Three minutes later a single enemy aircraft dropped three bombs two or three miles away.
06:45 hours. “All Clear” sounded on Civil sirens.
28 July 1942
15:00 hours. AA & QMG 49 Division, Lt Col MASON, visited camp site.
29 July 1942
14:30 hours. ADMS 49 Division, Col RUSBY, visited camp site.
30 July 1942
09:00 hours. 4 Fitters Motor Vehicle, 1 Electrician, 5 Driver/Mechanics, 2 Fitters (Gas), 1 Turner – total of 13 Tradesmen attached for duty to REME Workshops HEREFORD to assist workshops and also ascertain capabilities of tradesmen.
Appendices attached to War Diary
No. 1 – Training Programme.
No copy of this document is held – either it was not photographed at National Archives (an omission by the researcher due to time pressure), or did not survive to be included in the file.
To contact the author by e-mail with any queries, or to send information - click here.