11th Battalion, The Durham Light Infantry War Diary February 1940
9th February 1940
2/Lt H. Waggott assumed the appointment of Battalion Weapon Training Officer with effect from 10th February and in place of 2/Lt R.A. Westray.
14th February 1940
The Brigade Commander wished to place on record his appreciation of the conduct of 4451770 Pte J.F.L. Mackie and 4456125 Pte L Gradon of the Battalion in assisting the Civil Police in the execution of their duties.
19th to 21st February 1940
The Battalion had the honour of a visit from the Commander in Chief of Home Forces, General Sir Walter Mervyn St George Kirke GCB CMG DSO psc ADC
22nd February 1940
B Company vacated Chester Road Schools, Sunderland and moved to the Drill Hall at Durham (Gilesgate?).
26th February 1940
The Brigade Commander desired to record his appreciation of the conduct of Sgt J.W. Holland of the Battalion on February 21st in rescuing three children from a fire in Chester-le-Street.
Major Gee took over command of the Battalion in the absence of Lt Col Bramwell.
B Company moved to Chester Road Schools, Sunderland and C Company moved to Houghton-le-Spring.
27th February 1940
The Intake Company moved to Chester Road Schools, Sunderland.
29th February 1940
2/Lts J.G. Morrison, E. Moscrop, J.A. Prestidge and M.A. Kidd were attached to the Battalion from the Infantry training Centre, Brancepeth. 2/Lt Q.H. Gilbey was posted to the Battalion and attached to Brigade HQ.
To contact the author by e-mail with any queries, or to send information - click here.